Friday, February 22, 2008

Prayer

This might be a silly question...but I'm just a babe in my faith...and still have so much to learn...
I would like to ask for some feedback about prayer...

1. How do you handle the abundance of prayer requests that you get... along with the things that you pray about on a regular basis....... and how do you find the time to lift up each and every one of those requests...and not forget anyone. It can get overwhelming ...but my heart wants to be obedient and pray for the ones I love and even the ones I don't know...

2. How do you find the time to have a daily - lenghty alone time with the Lord. I find that I'm so busy that I don't get much of that... and it's a two fold reason...the busy life I seem to create as well as being lazy at the end of a very busy day....

3. Is it terrible that most of my 'talking' to God is either in the car ... in the morning as I'm getting ready for work... or just little chats through out my day... as I remember someone or something...I just lift it up to the Lord...

I appreciate your honesty and any guidance you can offer... and light you can shed...

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Well, Shell, I'm hesitant to even post a comment because it's not like I always practice what I preach...but I did have some thoughts on it.

I, too, usually have a bunch of prayer times throughout the day, when something is going on or I think of someone that has asked me to lift them up, but I do like to make sure that I spend some time alone with just me & God in the mornings. I have actually gone in & out of this practice & find that my days are totally different when I make sure to do so.

I went through the "Woman After God's Own Heart" bible study last year and, through that & some other people's help, realized the importance of spending some of my first time in the morning in prayer. "Honor the Lord with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops; then your barns will be filled to overslowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine" Prov 3:9-10. She talked about just sitting at your kitchen table in the morning and setting the timer for 5 minutes. Then, even though you have all of those other opportunities to pray during the day, you know that you have definitely put Him first...asked him to fill you fresh with His spirit and to go before you during your day. With you, maybe your ride to work is a good time for that if you're not too distracted with driving, radio, etc.

I have also always wondered about praying for other people's needs and even my own. If you prayed for everyone who has asked for prayer every single day...well, it's just not realistic. How do you know how long to continue praying for people, or do you just do it the one time that they ask? God hears us the first time, right...he doesn't want us to beg, does he? But, then again, I pray for my own needs every day...without ceasing, right? There are just so many different things to concentrate on...church, family, friends, missions, etc...I never know how to cover everything.